Monday, January 3, 2011

It's been so long.......but its a new year so lets try again!

Well that's an understatement......Its been about 6 months since my last post and I am amazed at how fast the time goes by. Without sounding like everyone else that to do these things I am resisting the urge to promise posts every week! However that being said with work now settling down and my life feeling a little more in order I am convinced that I should be able to post on a "regular" basis!

So what have I been up to? Well lots of working....and then working some more. That's what happens when you get a new job. Other than that there have been many a dinners at great restaurants, great excursions to Seattle, Whistler,  and back to the Island, oh yeah...and a little trip to Hawaii!





Vancouver has proved to be a good move for me, we are definitely in a smaller place but we are right in the heart of downtown. Yaletown offers everything we want and in 20mins we can be in the North Shore mountains where we have gone running, skiing, and just being. Grouse mountain is a great little ski hill and Cypress offers some of the best Nordic skiing around, both of which we have been doing.

Speaking of skiing, we have not really skied since we moved out to Vancouver and this weekend was our first venture back into the sport. Interesting to say the least...you know that feeling when you think you know how to do something but when you go to do it your body just doesn't want to remember! First on the list was downhill skiing, fearing the worst we walk over to a green run at Grouse mountain and with apprehension I flung myself down the hill and while I was whizzing down I thought to myself  "is this a good idea for someone who was told by their neurosurgeon not to fall down again?" But that was quickly replaced with "this is a blast" so there you have it...I am skiing again, not hitting any hard stuff....yet!




Day two....cross country skiing. My motivation for trying this sport is a little race we have agreed to participate in....Snow to surf in May 2011, and I really wanted to do something new, something I have not down before.....cross country skiing. With that in mind we headed up to Cypress just yesterday, rented equipment and headed out. We started with the classic variety and Dwight instructed on technique, now I have to tell you that this little sport is much harder than it looks! In classic Nordic skiing you ski in these tracks that are laid out through the trails. The idea is to use a running motion and glide on your skies....what I was doing I would not call gliding! I would have called it a crude sliding and not at all graceful.......

After falling down numerous times and not really being able to get the hang of it I decided to ask Dwight calmly if we could go back tot the rental hut and try to Skate Skiing technique....OK so it was not so calmly asked and maybe it was not even an ask.....more like a if you don't get me off these things life is going to get miserable! So we headed back and to my delight when we clicked into the skate skies and started on our way I was much happier. I am not exactly sure all of the technical reasons but I very much enjoyed this type of cross country skiing. There is a lot more control and I don't feel restricted to the ruts that are created, although you can use them if you want to.  It is difficult however, don't get me wrong I have not had that kind of cardio workout since Mike introduced us to hill training at Rainbow park! I did teally enjoy it and hopefully we can get out on the weekends so I can enjoy it even more.

This weekend reminded me again however lucky we are to live in such a beautiful part of the world.....to be running in the sun along the ocean one moment to skiing in 300cm of snow the next. Truly a blessing.........

Hopefully I have not lost too many of my fans and that you enjoy the posts to come........looking forward to chatting.........

Talk soon, Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment