Sunday, April 24, 2011

Sub Cultures.....interesting weekend....


So we had a great little trip this weekend up to Whistler, we do seem to be spending a good deal of time there lately. Our intention was to go up and do some skate skiing so I would have at least done it once within the last few months before the Snow to Surf race! In that respect we did not have much luck, even with all of the snow that is still around they closed the Olympic Park! So although I was unable to brush up on my skate skiing skills we were able to spend an incredible weekend downhill skiing….The skies were clear, the snow wonderful and the lift lines short, you couldn’t ask for a nicer time to be on a pair of downhill skis.


Blackcomb Mountain



The one thing that did take us by surprise was the “Telus World Ski & Snowboard festival” that was in full gear when we arrived…. I suppose we should have known this but we have both been rather isolated due to work lately.   The place was packed, with all kinds of stuff going on…including concerts all day and night……we stayed at the Fairmont Chateau Whistler again so we were able to visit the crowds and then return to our little quiet sanctuary later in the evening. It was way to much fun, great energy and good crowd! 




So after wondering around the crowds we couldn’t help but notice what I would call the vibe of the town.  There were certainly a lot of young people in the crowds but it was more than just that, it was the underling subculture of the sport that they were celebrating. Culture meaning…they have their own language, their own rituals and rights, even their appearance becomes uniformed. And for some reason you immediately think about and smell that world-renowned BC bud!   


On reflection when I think of other instances where this occurs I cannot help but think of triathlon and all its subcultural norms. From aero helmets to compression socks, to buzz cuts and pony tails there are very obvious sub cultural traits that you become part of. 

There are many subcultures and throughout history we have participated in them, think about the 60”s Hippie…. what comes to mind? Haight Ashbury crowds with tie die clothes, if they were wearing any, free love, and of course drugs. 

So we know they have always been around, that they manifest in many different forms, so why do subcultures exist? Is it that we just want to belong, or that we what to be recognized to being part of something that others are not?

Hard to say really, subcultures are created when a group of people branch off from the original culture that share a set of beliefs that differ. I guess we could say that this is the case but it seems to be more than that. It has the feel of belonging that transcending just being with "like minded" people. Sharing the cultural beliefs that are created allow us to be a part of something that we may not have been had we not joined.  


So once there can you move in and out? Or is it more cult like and you are forever trapped in the "family"? Well I think Charles Manson would be disappointed with the answer, subcultures are not dark cults they are just people sharing. So you can move freely, some people tend to stay for longer times than others, some people never leave.....which ever you are know that its good to be in a place that makes you feel good. 

look at the size of that helmet!
I like to consider myself rather flexible as I move in and out of the different subcultures I am exposed to, however there are always some parts that I just cant seem to buy into. 

Take the Ski/Snowboard subculture…..those oversized toques are about the most unflattering item I can think of for anyone to wear, for triathlon I must admit I could never really put an aero helmet on and keep a straight face, my yoga practice is dear to me and I am sure I could not live without it now, but the chanting is definitely not for me.

I think we can be a part of many different cultures and personally my belief is that it’s not the rights, rituals, the clothes or the language. It’s the people that are most important, they are the ones that keep you involved…the relationships you build and the friends you make will last longer than any of the things that consume sub cultures………

Looking forward to seeing some friends next weekend during the Snow to Surf relay race and catching up......

Till next time, happy chatting..... 

No comments:

Post a Comment