Thursday, March 24, 2011

Reflections

In the woods there is a pond, its surface is as clear as glass, in the reflection you watch the clouds float by and the scent of spring is in the air. It's early morning and its the time of day that balances between reality and fiction, where sometimes you wish you could stay forever but know that you just cant.  What causes us to look into a pond like this and reflect? When moments like these present themselves are you filled with regret because you don't have more of them? Or do you cherish the precious seconds that transport you somewhere else, if even for only a minute?






Sometimes I think I reflect too much, seems I always have,  you know one of those "why" kids that was never satisfied with the answer. Where some people look to find the explanation in science or religion I have always been satisfied with what the question does for the person asking it. Reflection to me is as natural as waking up in the morning, only more rested ;-)


So lets go back to that pond, did you choose to stay just a moment later and soak it all in? If you did, what was in your mind? Life, love, happiness? Or just the colour of those floating clouds? What did you see?


Why all of the questions? 


Well I have always wondered if people reflect as much as I do, if the why question is as annoyingly present in everyone else's mind as it is in mine....


My reflection is sometimes deep and touching, other times its lighthearted and rather superficial, but it always teaches me something. About myself, about the way I interact with the world, about how the world interacts with me :-). 


Reflection when done often can become a way to settle things with yourself, to come to terms with decisions and events that you have experienced. But don't take it lightly, reflection without asking the right questions and really listening to your answers can be devastating.  Your own personal biases can trick you into stopping before you actually reach the answers you desire. 


So what do I mean....well lets say that you are reflecting and staring into that wonderful pond you found when out on a walk. Your question starts with "why do I always rush into things?" Well the answer might come as "because I like change, I like to do different things".  That could be the answer.....but I would keep going. I would challenge you to ask another question....."why do I like to do different things" and so on and so on......you might just end up with more than you originally thought! 


So enough lecturing on your deep reflections that you should or should not be doing, everyone is different and everyone uses different ways to review themselves and their lives, I just seem to do it a bit to regularly which can be a rather annoying trait......Sometimes it takes a few great statements to get us going.....to inspire the self reflection that brings us closer to ourselves. 


One of the best deep thinkers that have ever lived..... Socrates,  here are a few of his insights.....



  • I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing.


  • Worthless people live only to eat and drink; people of worth eat and drink only to live.


  • Beauty is the bait which with delight allures man to enlarge his kind.


  • True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.


  • He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.

And one of my absolute favourites........Wisdom begins in wonder, Socrates 






Reflection is wonder, and only through wondering can we move forward. Wonder is responsible for our science, the understanding of ourselves, and the continued growth of human kind. 


You don't have to change the world or even change yourself, but by reflecting and wondering you can gain a deeper understanding of who you are, your strengths and your weaknesses, your likes and dislikes, and with that information you can change your experiences in the world.........and isn't that what we are all doing here......? 

Till next time, happy chatting.........





I love those who can smile in trouble, who can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink, but they whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves their conduct, will pursue their principles unto death.
Leonardo da Vinci






No comments:

Post a Comment