Saturday, May 28, 2011

Adventures in Utah, a contrast in altitude....


Zion National Park
Those that know me know that I love to be outdoors, and there is no better place in the world to do that than right here in Utah. We are surrounded by canyons, Snow Canyon is a 5 min drive away and boasts some of the most beautiful red rock I have ever seen, about an hours drive away is Zion Canyon which is one of the oldest parks in the national park system and has towering cliffs made from Navajo sandstone that has been carved from the Virgin river over the centuries, the Grand Canyon and Bryce Canyon are also within reach.....so enough of the history lessons and more about being outdoors! 

Snow Canyon

Sand Dunes at Snow Canyon

Rock Climbing anyone? 


Dwight and I decided to rent a couple of road bikes and travel through Snow Canyon, since I have moved to Vancouver I have not had much saddle time and I certainly noticed my lack of bike fitness almost immediately! Still I am pretty happy with myself, I lasted 4 1/2 hours up and down some rather hilly terrain...and some not..... :-) 



The second adventure day took us to Zion - This place will take your breath away, I never get tired of coming here and experiencing all it has to offer. This time we choose a more difficult hike away from the  crowds and it proved to be perfect! Its called hidden canyon trail and round trip took about 3 hours which included a great stop at a viewpoint for lunch.  The trek up is a little bit of thigh buster and a little rough on the nerves if you are afraid of heights! I am not, Dwight on the other hand does not take well to being on a ledge where the cliff drops straight off and all you have to hold onto is a chain they have bolted to the rock! I don't think I was helping the matters much as I was doing the video recording while as I was walking along.....making him all the more nervous! But her did well, we survived and it was worth it. At the top you followed a wash through the canyon that wound its way into the rock......all I can say is wow! 

Hidden Canyon

Not so hidden canyon

Zion Hike

Waterfall in Zion 


I have put together a little video that captures some of our adventures over the past couple of days, I hope you enjoy.... 



We head off to Vegas next Wednesday so there is still plenty of time for more here.......we shall see what we decide to do!  

No comments:

Post a Comment